Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    CBN to utilize $3bn loan to stabilize economy – NEC

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoSeptember 29, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Nigerian bank customers react to CBN policy limiting BVN phone number updates to once amid fraud concerns
    Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The National Economic Council confirmed on Thursday that the Federal Government’s $3 billion emergency loan for crude oil secured in August would be used to stabilize the naira, whose value has continued to fluctuate in the Investors and exporters window and worsened in the parallel market, reaching N1000/$ earlier this month.

    Speaking to State House correspondents following the 136th NEC meeting at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja, Nasarawa State Governor Abdullahi Sule stated, “So, we are very confident and we still believe very strongly that with the plan that will come out and with all these items that have been listed on the improvement of revenue, the $3bn loan shall be useful to us down the line.”

    On August 16, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited announced that it had acquired an emergency $3 billion crude repayment loan from Afrexim Bank to relieve the naira strain.

    They stated that the financing would allow them to pay taxes and royalties in advance.

    It will also provide the Federal Government with the required dollar liquidity to support the naira while posing little risk.

    The naira, on the other hand, has continued to fluctuate in the I&E window and deteriorated in the parallel market, reaching N1000/$ the week before last.

    • FG secures $163m loan from AFDB for wheat production

    It recovered on Friday, September 22, 2023, after President Bola Tinubu nominated Olayemi Cardoso to be the next governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria. In the black market, the naira rose N10 against the dollar, closing at N990/$1.

    When asked when the intervention would begin and whether a supplementary budget would be required, Sule stated, “The $3 billion that was taken to stabilize the naira. As you may have noticed, we now have a new team at the CBN, and the new team is requesting some time to sort out the modalities.

    “It is one thing to take the loan; it is another to plan the process of stabilization because it’s going to take a while.

    “The CBN governor was just confirmed a few days ago, and he started rolling out his plans for what to do.”

    Speaking on the supplementary budget, Sule noted that the “supplementary budget is a request that will come as a result of whatever is happening right now. I’m not sure there is a need for a supplementary budget immediately. So far, there have been no supplementary budget requests that were presented to NEC.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    AEDC public announcement explaining that preloaded prepaid meter energy units will be deducted during the next recharge.

    AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Cubana cries, says ‘Tinubu doesn’t really trust me as an Igbo man’

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.