Eighteen students from St James Primary School B in Owoope, Osogbo, were said to be hospitalised after eating a mid-day meal provided by the Osun State Government free school feeding scheme.
The Osun State Government stated that inquiries into the incident had begun and that free meals had been suspended in the impacted school pending the conclusion of the investigations.
The affected cooks at the schools, as well as the O-Meal program’s planning officer, have been summoned to a meeting by Tuesday morning, according to the state Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Barr. Kolapo Alimi.
According to Alimi, governor Ademola Adeleke instructed the enforcement of food standards and controls, as well as audit the O-Meal structure, to prevent a repetition.
The administration also said that the impacted students’ medical expenditures had been reimbursed and that they had been treated and discharged.
Alimi further said a government delegation would visit the homes of the impacted students.