Connect with us

Headlines News

Supplementary Budget: FG dismisses Obi’s claim of insensitivity

Published

on

Tinubu told Qatari international business community that Nigeria is ready for serious business

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, has stated that President Bola Tinubu’s 2023 supplementary budget, which was signed into law on Wednesday, is not insensitive but rather a bold and realistic solution to the pressing and economic difficulties Nigeria is currently facing.

The remarks by the ministry come on the heels of an accusation from Peter Obi, who faulted the signing into law of the supplementary budget by Tinubu.

The presidential candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 presidential election, Peter Obi, has faulted the signing into law of the N2.17 trillion supplementary budget by President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday.

In his reaction, he claimed, in a statement, that the president failed to consider certain emergencies and pressing needs of the country.

He noted that, going by the manner in which the budgetary allocations were done, it was obvious the president was unaware of the dire crisis in the country.

Advertisement

However, in a swift reaction to Obi’s claims, the Minister, in a statement on Thursday, urged Obi to take the time and effort to acquaint himself with the details of the N2.17 trillion 2023 financial plan, which includes allocations for essential sectors: security, agriculture and food security, works and housing, wage increases for workers, a student loan scheme, and social safety nets, among others, all aimed at strengthening the country’s economic foundations and improving the living conditions of Nigerians.

“The broad provisions in the supplementary budget are a reflection of President Tinubu’s strong desire and eagerness to support the vital functions of government, address urgent security needs, and fast-track the country’s recovery process from the economic impact occasioned by the removal of fuel subsidies,” said Idris.

Idris urged the political opposition to be informed and balanced in exercising their right to differing opinions and to avoid misrepresenting facts for political gain, explaining that the supplementary budget was derived from active engagement and consultation with relevant stakeholders, who ensured that the budgetary provisions aligned with Nigerians’ needs and expectations.

Idris stressed that, in keeping with President Tinubu’s preference for accountability and openness in government spending, all items in the supplementary budget had been rigorously reviewed to guarantee efficient use of public funds.

Advertisement
Advertisement
1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2016 - 2024 ChronicleNG

Discover more from Chronicle.ng

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading