Connect with us

Headlines News

Soldier-police clash: Two shot dead in Taraba



Soldier-police clash: Two shot dead in Taraba

Soldiers and police officers exchanged gunfire yesterday near the Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) office, where votes in Saturday’s governorship election were being counted.

A mufti-clad policewoman returning to duty at the INEC yesterday was asked to produce her identity card for recognition.

The soldiers assaulted her after she refused to cooperate.

This drew the attention of local police officers.


A scuffle ensued, resulting in both parties exchanging gunfire.

Teargas was also discharged.

Businesses in the area were closed, and people fled for safety.

The scuffle caught a journalist on his way to the collation center.


He told newsmen that some party faithful were trying to protest the announced result, which prompted the intervention of security personnel in order to avert the breakdown of law and order.

“Here is no-go area for now. It is like there are mercenaries in town. We are hiding in one of the shops. Everywhere is closed now. There are gunshots and tear gas all over,” the journalist said.

Several police personnel were feared dead while more were injured.

Several vehicles were riddled with bullets and their tyres punctured. Some uniforms were seen with blood stains on them. Also, police personnel, mostly in mufti, were seen discussing the experience.


Some of them said the soldiers raided the premises in armoured vehicles.

“I was at the shop when I heard some scuffle. They started around the INEC office. I was cooking and before I knew it, I heard sporadic shots. I ran and stumbled. I left my cooking. The shooting was too much and I thought that was my end.

“I called home and asked them to pray for me because I was not sure if I would be alive. I pleaded with everyone at home to forgive me if I offended them,” a food seller said.

The police, army and the Department of State Services (DSS) said one police officer died while three other personnel were injured.


In a joint press briefing at the SSS headquarters in Jalingo, the Taraba State Commissioner of Police, Sulaiman Yusuf, narrated what happened.

“The Commander 6th Brigade of the Nigerian Army and the Commissioner of Police, Taraba State command, regret the unfortunate incident that occured this morning 20th March,2023 which led to a clash between the personnel of both organisations in Jalingo.

“It was a minor disagreement that led to the escalation of the incident. This incident is a dent in the synergy and mutual trust both the army and the police in Taraba state have enjoyed.

“The high command of both organisations have set up a joint investigation team to look into the root cause of the matter,” Yusuf said.

Contrary to the joint statement, the police Command said two of its personnel were killed by the soldiers, while two others were injured and currently receiving treatment.


The Command’s spokesman, Abdullahi Usman, said the incident occured at a military checkpoint close to the INEC headquarters in Jalingo and the police command at about 8:30 am.

“The soldiers shot two police personnel and went away with their rifless.

“Some proceeded to the command headquarters with guns and sporadically shot in the air, and one police officer who was going off duty was shot and killed instantly.

“Another who was just reporting for duty and did not even know what was happening was also shot the moment they identified him as a policeman,” Usman said.


“As we speak, we have gotten reports that our men who are escorting election results or on various duties are been stopped at military checkpoints and harassed,” he said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2016 - 2022 ChronicleNG