Connect with us


Osun cleric, two brothers die attempting to recover bucket from a well



Osun cleric, two brothers die attempting to recover bucket from a well

Three people were killed in a well at a construction site in the Owode area of Ede, Osun State, on Friday.

Adebayo Oluwasina, 46, Lateef Adediran, 22, and Waliu Adediran, 31, died while attempting to recover a bucket that had fallen into a well.

An anonymous resident of Owode Ede’s Alaro Onigbin community said Waliu and Lateef were bricklayers employed by Adebayo at his construction site.

He said at the commencement of the day’s work, a bucket being used to draw water fell in within the construction site and one of the two bricklayers went in search of it but got trapped.


“The younger of the two bricklayers were the one fetching water when the bucket fell inside. The boy entered the well to recover it but did not come out. After some minutes, his elder brother, Waliu, went in to rescue him, but also got trapped inside.

“The owner of the site, Pastor Shina, also went into the well in a bid to rescue the two persons who earlier got trapped, but he also could not come out.

“The incident threw our community into panic and firemen from the Osun State Fire Service were called to the scene. They were eventually recovered  by the fire service men, but not alive.”

The spokesperson for the Osun State Fire Service, Ibrahim Adekunle, confirmed the incident.

Adekunle said the three men were brought out of the well dead, adding that they got trapped due to the presence of ammonia gas in the well.


He said, “They were working within the compound of Mr. Adebayo (the third victim) when their drawer fell into the well. The first victim went into the well with the hope of recovering the drawer, but he was trapped due to the presence of ammonia gas in the well.

“His elder brother, Adediran Waliyu, in an effort to recover his brother, was equally trapped. The owner of the premises also tried his luck to get them out before he got trapped too. It was at this juncture that they alerted the fire service.

“We immediately responded and recovered the three victims with the coordinated efforts of men of the state and federal services, the police of A’ Division, Ede, and the community people.

Their bodies were taken to an undisclosed hospital by the O’ Ambulance crew, where they were confirmed dead and their bodies handed over to their families.”

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2016 - 2022 ChronicleNG