Connect with us

English Football

Ronaldo charged by FA over fan’s phone accident

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to knock a young fan's phone to the ground as he walked down the tunnel at Goodison
Ronaldo appeared to knock a young fan's phone to the ground as he walked down the tunnel at Goodison park

Manchester United footballer Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with “improper and/or violent” conduct by the Football Association.

It comes after an incident that relates to the Portuguese forward’s behaviour at Everton last season.

Video footage showed Ronaldo appearing to knock a fan’s mobile phone to the ground after United’s 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park on April 9, for which the player was cautioned by Merseyside Police.

In a statement from Merseyside Police at the time of the incident, they said: “We can confirm that a 37-year-old man voluntarily attended and was interviewed under caution in relation to an allegation of assault and criminal damage.

Advertisement

“The allegation relates to an incident following the Everton v Manchester United football match at Goodison Park on Saturday 9 April.

“The matter has been dealt with by way of a conditional caution. The matter has now concluded.”

However, the FA has decided to probe the incident and a spokesperson said on Twitter:

Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 for an incident that took place after Manchester United FC’s Premier League match against Everton on Saturday 9 April 2022.

“It is alleged that the forward’s conduct after the final whistle was improper and/or violent.”

Advertisement

Manchester United has issued a statement saying: “We note the FA announcement in relation to Cristiano Ronaldo. We will be supporting the player in his response to the charge.”

Ronaldo had previously shared a statement in which he apologised for his actions on social media and offered the teenager in question, Jacob Harding, an opportunity to attend a game at Old Trafford.

The defeat at Everton dealt a blow to United’s hopes of qualifying for the Champions League. They went on to finish sixth.

In an Instagram post after the incident, Ronaldo said it was “never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments such as the one we are facing”.

Advertisement

He added: “Nevertheless, we always have to be respectful, patient and set the example for all the youngsters who love the beautiful game.

“I would like to apologise for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair play and sportsmanship.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2016 - 2022 ChronicleNG