Death toll rises to 45 in Ikoyi building collapse
Two more bodies have been recovered from the collapsed 21-storey building in Ikoyi, Lagos State.
The latest development was confirmed in a statement by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy in Lagos, Gbenga Omotoso.
“Two more bodies were recovered from the site today (Wednesday),” he said. “The recovery of the two bodies has brought to 45 the number of bodies retrieved from the site.
“The identification of bodies of the victims of the incident has continued at IDH, Yaba, Lagos Mainland. Thirty-two families have come forward to submit samples for DNA to identify bodies that they wish to claim.
“In cases where identification is clear and there are no arguments, the bodies will be released to the families.”
According to Omotosho, a joint committee of senior officials of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Justice has been set up to supervise the identification and release of the bodies.
He debunked reports that the state government had ordered the demolition of the remaining two high-rise buildings standing at the site of the collapsed structure.
Omotosho said that the Panel of Inquiry instituted to establish issues surrounding the collapse of the building has continued to sit and an integrity test is yet to be conducted on the buildings.
“It is, therefore, wrong to assert or speculate that the buildings will be demolished. The operation at the site of the collapsed building continues.
“Vehicular movement around the site has been smooth, following the reopening of the road,” he said.
The 21-storey building located along Gerrard road, Ikoyi collapsed last week Monday.
Since the day of the incident, some of the victims have since been rescued and the injured have been hospitalised.
However, the number of people who may have been in the building at the time of the incident is still unclear.
Many believe dozens may still be trapped in the debris of the buuilding.