President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana Tuesday spoke with President Muhammadu Buhari, expressing his sincere apology for demolition of a building on the premises of Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana.
In a telephone call, the Ghanaian leader told President Buhari that he has directed full investigation into the incident.
A statement by Shehu Garba, President Buhari’s spokesperson said, “Earlier in the day, it further emerged that some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned in court”.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama revealed on Monday that Nigeria had earlier summoned the deputy High Commissioner of Ghana to Nigeria, Ms Iva Denoo, over the demolition of parts of the Nigerian embassy in Ghana.
“The Ghanaian Government has apologised and the President of Ghana has demanded strict sanctions be taken in respect of the perpetrators of this act. We are now at the stage of establishing the legal status of the property and will keep the House informed,” he said in a tweet.
He noted that, “Briefed on the feedback received from the Ghanaian Foreign Affairs Minister, H.E. Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey on the actions taken to resolve the issue amicably. We have demanded that the Ghanaian government provide security to the premises and the staff.”