The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has presented the Certificate of Return to Senator Duruoye Diri and Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
INEC chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu said he was acting on the instruction of the Supreme Court that nullified the election of All Progressives Congress’ David Lyon.
Read his full speech below
1. I welcome you all to this briefing. As you are aware, the Supreme Court of Nigeria yesterday delivered a judgement in a pre-election suit on the Bayelsa State Governorship election held on 16th November, 2019. The commission has received the certify true copy (CTC) on the judgement of the apex court which disqualified the deputy governorship candidate and vitiated the commission to “ …declare as winner of the governorship election in Bayelsa State the candidate with the highest number of lawful votes cast with the requisite constitutional (or geographical spread).
2. In compliance with the orders of the Supreme Court, the commission met this morning and reviewed the result of the election in which 45 political parties contested.
Without the votes scored by ALL PROGRESSIVE CONGRESS (APC), whose candidate of the were deemed not to have participated in the election, the total number of lawful and valid votes cast in the election now stand at 146,999, out of this figure, the candidate of the People Democratic Party (PDP) scored the highest number of lawful votes with 143,172.
Similarly, the party has scored more than 25% of the lawful votes cast in all the eight (8) Local Government Areas of the State,
3. Furthermore, the total number of registered voters in places where election was not held or cancelled as a result of sundry violation is 90,882. The candidate of the Accord party has the next highest score with 1,339 votes. The margin of the lead between the candidate of the PDP and the Accord Party is 411,833 votes. With this outcome, the election is conclusive as first ballot.
4. Consequently, Senator Duoye Diri and Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo of the PDP are hereby declared winners and returned elected as Governor and Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State respectively.
5. The detailed result will be shared with you at this briefing and uploaded on the Commission’s website and social media platforms shortly.
6. The Commission is aware that the tenure of the incumbent Governor of Bayelsa Sate ends at midnight today Friday 14th February 2020. Therefore, in fulfillment of the requirement of Section 75 of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended), the Certificates of Return to the Governor and Deputy Governor will be presented to them immediately as ordered by the Supreme Court.
7. I thank you for your presence.