The National Judicial Council is expected to force suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen on compulsory retirement, media reports have claimed.
The NJC at its sitting on Monday set up a panel on Justice Onnoghen and acting CJN Ibrahim Mohammed.
Onnoghen had earlier been queried by the NJC following the allegations leveled against him on his failure to declare all his assets, as stipulated by law.
The NJC has now set up a preliminary complaints assessment committee to review the responses provided by Justice Onnoghen and Justice Mohammed.
Justice Mohammed is facing allegations of misconduct for allowing himself to be sworn-in as a replacement for Mr Onnoghen.
Both men are being investigated by the NJC as required by the law.
The council expected to give verdict after hearing the responses of the two accused judges but instead a committee was set up to review their responses.
A spokesperson for the NJC, Soji Oye, said in a statement Monday that the NJC reconvened and resolved to constitute into the Preliminary Complaints Assessment Committee in accordance with Regulation 17 of the National Judicial Council Judicial Discipline Regulations, 2017.
The committee is to report its finding to the council on February 13 when it will reconvene.
“Council also received a new petition written by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against Hon. Mr. Justice W.S.N. Onnoghen, GCON and forwarded it to him for his response within seven (7) working days,” Mr Oje said.
“Council reaffirmed its confidence in Hon. Mr. Justice Umaru Abdullahi, CON and continues under his Interim Chairmanship.”