Sporting Lisbon have sacked coach Sinisa Mihajlovic – just nine days after he was appointed by the troubled Portuguese club.
The Serb had said his first objective for the troubled club was to “do better than last year” but on Wednesday night the club said he had been dismissed.
A group of 50 fans reportedly attacked players and staff in May, after the club missed out on a Champions League place on the final day of the season.
Nine players have terminated their contracts in response to the incident.
“Sporting have decided to end Mihajlovic’s probationary period and cancel his contract,” said Jose Sousa Cintra, the club’s president at a news conference.
“We will quickly seek a new coach, who should be presented by Monday.”
Mihajlovic, 49, signed a three-year contract on 18 June, five days before the dismissal of previous president Bruno de Carvalho.
He was the coach of the Serbian national football team from May 2012 to November 2013, and holds an Italian passport.
He has since managed AC Milan, Sampdoria, Torino.
His last job was with Torino. On 25 May 2016, Mihajlović was appointed manager of Torino but was sacked on 4 January 2018 following a 2–0 defeat to Juventus in the Coppa Italia.