Manchester City won their first trophy under Pep Guardiola as they brushed side Arsenal in the Carabao Cup final at Wembley.
Sergio Aguero took advantage of some poor Shkodran Mustafi defending to latch on to Claudio Bravo’s goal-kick and lob David Ospina for the opener.
Captain Vincent Kompany diverted home Ilkay Gundogan’s shot to double their lead.
And David Silva added the third when he smashed home from Danilo’s pass.
The Gunners were as poor as the scoreline suggests and their best chance came at 0-0 but Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s close-range effort was at Bravo.
The League Cup remains the only domestic trophy Arsene Wenger has not won at Arsenal, losing in the final for the third time in his 21-year reign.
Guardiola, whose side are 13 points clear at the top of the Premier League, again wore the yellow ribbon to support jailed Catalan politicians that has landed him in trouble with the Football Association.
In his second season at City, he can now add the League Cup to the 21 trophies he won as boss of Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
Stats – Aguero is Europe’s form striker in 2018
- Manchester City’s 3-0 win over Arsenal is their biggest ever cup final victory, as well as the Gunners’ biggest ever loss in a cup final.
- Manchester City have won the League Cup for a fifth time – only Liverpool (eight) have won it more often.
- Arsenal have lost six of their eight League Cup finals, including each of their last three. The Gunners are the first side to lose in three successive appearances in the League Cup final (2007, 2011 and 2018).
- City are one of four sides to lift the trophy on four successive League Cup final visits (Aston Villa, Liverpool and Manchester United).
- No manager has lost more League Cup finals than Arsene Wenger (in 2007, 2011 and 2018), level with Sir Alex Ferguson, who also won the trophy four times.
- Pep Guardiola has triumphed in seven of his previous eight major domestic and European finals, losing only to Real Madrid with Barcelona in the 2011 Copa del Rey final.
- Sergio Aguero has scored in each of his last five games against Arsenal. He has scored 15 goals in 13 appearances in 2018 – more than any other player in the top five European leagues.
- This was the biggest win by a Premier League team against another in a League Cup final since 2006 (Manchester United 4-0 Wigan), and biggest in a League Cup final at Wembley since 1996 (Aston Villa 3-0 Leeds).