Ross Barkley ‘did not have Chelsea medical’

340
Ross Barkley is expected to have his medical at Chelsea today
Everything on JUMIA
Ross Barkley did not have Chelsea medical a close source claims

Everton’s claim that Ross Barkley turned down a move to Chelsea after having a medical and agreeing a contract has been disputed by a source close to the England midfielder.

Majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri said Everton had accepted a bid and Barkley had agreed personal terms before changing his mind after passing a medical.

But the source said the 23-year-old did not travel to Chelsea.

And they said he had not had a medical.

Deal of the day

“It was simply that he would rather make a decision about his next move when he is fully fit, rather than arrive at a new club injured,” the source said.

Barkley has a hamstring injury that is likely to keep him out for three months.

READ: Chelsea complete the signing of Zappacosta, Danny Drinkwater

Everton had initially rejected a £25m offer from Chelsea for the player on Wednesday before reports that a deal had been agreed late on Thursday.

“It is a big surprise but that is football,” Moshiri told Sky Sports.

Barkley has less than a year left on his contract and has turned down a new deal at the club he grew up supporting and joined as an 11-year-old.

The academy graduate has played 150 times for Everton in the Premier League, scoring 21 times since making his debut in 2011.

In July, manager Ronald Koeman said the club “100%” expected Barkley to leave Goodison Park.

Born 5 December 1993, Barkley has played for Everton for most of his career, which included loan spells for Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United.

Barkley made his full international debut in 2013.

He played for England at the 2014 FIFA World Cup and was selected in Roy Hodgson’s 23-man squad for UEFA Euro 2016 but did not appear in any of England’s matches.

Managers and teammates have compared his style of play to those of Michael Ballack, Paul Gascoigne and Wayne Rooney.