FEC meeting cancelled again, says Lai Mohammed

496
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed says FEC meeting will not hold

The weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting will not hold tomorrow. This is official.

Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed said the meeting will not hold because the Eid el-Kabir holiday deprived the ministers adequate time to prepare the documents for the meeting.

In a statement issued in Kano on Tuesday, the Minister said the two-day public holidays declared for the Eid-el-Kabir celebrations left little or no time to prepare for the weekly meeting.

Last week when the meeting held, the Federal Government approved the Mambilla hydro project that will be handled by a consortium of Chinese companies at a cost of $5.79billion.

On 30 August, President Muhammadu Buhari presided over FEC meeting for the first time in over three months following a medical vacation in London.

READ: Policeman did not commit suicide over Maiduguri posting – PRO

Following his return to Nigeria, he cancelled the FEC meeting but did not give any reason for doing so, instead he received the report of the investigation committee into the allegations against the suspended Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir Lawal and the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ayo Oke, headed by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, at 12 noon, in his office.

The outcome of the investigation on the two men is yet to be made public by the President.

It would be recalled that on 19 April, President Buhari suspended the director-general of National Intelligence Agency, Ambassador Ayo Oke and the Secretary to the Federal Government, Engineer Babachir David Lawal.

Both men were mired in some controversies and the President had ordered full scale investigations into their cases.

Babachir Lawal was indicted by a Senate Committee probing the disbursement of funds meant for the Internally Displaced Persons camps.

The Committee alleged that Lawal awarded a N200m contract to a company linked with him to cut grass at an IDP camp.

Meanwhile, Ayo Oke was linked recently with the shocking discovery of $43.45million in a private apartment in Ikoyi, Lagos by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

He claimed the money belonged to his agency and was approved by the former president Goodluck Jonathan for some covert operation.

President Buhari was said to be furious with the claim as he had never been briefed about the fund by the DG who was appointed by Jonathan and was kept on the job by Buhari.